Reading time ( words)
Under today's manufacturing and market environment, the effort to maximize production yield, reduce cost and assure product reliability is becoming increasingly important to a company’s competitiveness. Considering the new and anticipated developments in packaging and assembly and with the goal of achieving high yield and reliability in mind, the “how-to” prevent prevailing production defects and product reliability issues through an understanding of potential causes is a necessity.
On Wednesday, June 6, Tutorial 7 at SMT Hybrid Packaging 2018 Conference, Nuremberg, Germany will address the top seven production defects and reliability issues - PCB pad cratering (vs. pad lifting); BGA head-on-pillow defect; open or insufficient solder joints; copper dissolution issue; lead-free through-hole barrel filling; intermetallic compounds; and Tin Whisker. Specific defects associated with BTCs and PoPs and the reliability of BTC and PoP assembly will also be outlined.
The course addresses the most prevalent production issues and defects that affect yield, cost and reliability, suitable to all who are involved with or interested in SnPb and Pb-free manufacturing including designers, engineers, researchers, managers and business decision makers; also is designed for those who desire the broad-based information.
Please join your industry colleagues in this tutorial the main topics to be covered are listed below:
- Premise of production defects and product failure prevention;
- The list of common production defects and issues in lead-free assembly;
- Product reliability – principles;
- Product reliability – solder joint, PCB and component considerations;
- PCB pad cratering (vs. pad lifting) — causes and solutions;
- Open or insufficient solder Joints – different sources, best practices;
- BGA head-on-pillow defect — causes, factors, remedies;
- Copper dissolution - process factors, impact on through-hole joint reliability, mitigation;
- Lead-free through-hole barrel filling — material, process and solder joint integrity
- Defects of BTC and PoP solder joints - prevention and remedies;
- Intermetallic compounds – fundamentals, characteristics;
- Intermetallic compounds – effects on failure mode, solder joint reliability;
- Tin whisker - applications of concern, practical criteria, testing challenges;
- Tin whisker - growth phenomena, contributing factors, risk mitigation, practical remedies;
To register, click here.